Cavium QLogic Accelerates Software Defined Datacenters with Windows Server 2016
QLogic(r) Ethernet and Fibre Channel portfolio delivers key capabilities to build a Hybrid Cloud
Atlanta, GA – Sep. 27, 2016 – Microsoft Ignite 2016 – Today, Cavium, Inc. (NASDAQ: CAVM), a leading provider of semiconductor products that enable intelligent processing for enterprise and cloud data centers announced broad support for Microsoft Windows Server 2016. Cavium’s QLogic portfolio of Ethernet and Fibre Channel adapters are now fully qualified for Microsoft Windows Server 2016, enabling key public, private and hybrid cloud capabilities, that allow IT functions to adapt rapidly to changing business requirements.
Windows Server 2016, Microsoft’s cloud-ready server operating system, delivers new levels of security, performance, resiliency and cost efficiency, enabling organizations to innovate faster to compete effectively. QLogic’s broad I/O connectivity portfolio of FastLinQ™ 10/25/40/50/100GbE Ethernet Adapters and Enhanced Gen 5 (16GFC) and Gen 6 (32GFC) Fibre Channel Adapters bring forth a new generation of Software Defined Networking (SDN) and Storage (SDS) capabilities with Windows Server 2016 for applications and infrastructure, accelerating their journey to the cloud.
“RDMA is key to Microsoft’s strategy for a software defined hybrid cloud infrastructure based on Windows Server 2016, QLogic FastLinQ Ethernet adapters deliver a rich feature set including Routable RDMA capabilities and great Ethernet performance as well – enabling customers to leverage Microsoft technologies like Hyper-V, SMB Direct and Storage Spaces Direct in their journey to build a secure, efficient and hyper-converged datacenter” said Ravi Rao, Principal PM Manager, Windows Server, Microsoft Corp.
With Windows Server 2016, QLogic FastLinQ Ethernet Adapters deliver key networking features used in the Azure datacenters for performance, agility and availability, including:
• Application Acceleration with Remote Direct Memory Access (RDMA): The QLogic 45000 Series of Ethernet adapter is the only family that supports Universal-RDMA technology, including RoCE and RoCEv2, and capable of iWARP. This provides a RDMA technology choice to customers and enables applications and infrastructure to leverage Windows Server 2016 technologies like SMB Direct and High Performance Live Migration over RDMA, accelerating storage workloads while reducing server CPU utilization.
• High Performance, Scalable Hyper-Converged Infrastructure: With support and acceleration for Microsoft Storage Spaces Direct (S2D), QLogic 45000 Series of Ethernet adapters enable customers to build highly available and scalable software-defined storage (SDS) solutions using standard servers with local storage, bringing the affordability and scalability of the cloud to private and hybrid cloud deployments.
• Network Acceleration for Virtual Machines: With support for Microsoft Windows Server 2016 Virtual Machine Multi Queue (VMMQ) technology, QLogic 45000 Series Network Adapters enable near linear scalability in performance of Hyper-V virtualized workloads by scaling the network performance across multiple virtual compute resources. In addition, QLogic FastLinQ 45000 Series Adapters deliver acceleration for Hyper-V Network Virtualization (HNV) workloads by offloading protocol processing for VxLAN and NVGRE, enabling customers to build and scale virtualized networks without impacting network performance.
For enterprise class storage connectivity, the QLogic 2600 and 2700 Series of Fibre Channel Adapters in Windows Server 2016 deliver:
• Superior Fibre Channel Connectivity: QLogic Fibre Channel in-box driver support for Windows Server 2016 simplifies and accelerates the deployment of Hyper-V platforms to cloud scale while delivering the industry’s highest transactional performance of 2.6 Million IOPS, supporting the most demanding enterprise workloads.
• Advanced SAN Fabric Management– QLogic StorFusion™ technology delivers a full suite of diagnostics, rapid provisioning and QoS services throughout the fabric. These adapters automate and simplify SAN deployment and orchestration. This is vital in software-defined data centers built using Windows Server 2016 and Nano Server.
• Direct Fibre Channel Access for Guest VMs – QLogic Fibre Channel adapters enable Virtual Fibre Channel (vFC) for Windows Server 2016 enabling the use of advanced storage functionality directly from the VMs.
In addition to a complete portfolio of I/O adapters, the QConvergeConsole® management application delivers a comprehensive set of capabilities for all Windows Server 2016 implementations, including Nano, Core and Server, providing customers with a consistent single pane of glass, scalable management interface, to build, deploy and maintain a hybrid cloud infrastructure on Azure-inspired Windows Server 2016.
“QLogic FastLinQ Ethernet adapters with support for Windows Server 2016 deliver comprehensive and cutting edge set of networking technologies for Azure-inspired hybrid cloud deployments,” said Rajneesh Gaur, general manager and vice president of Ethernet Adapter Group, Cavium. “These products epitomize the innovation and value that QLogic adapters deliver in Microsoft Windows 2016 with connectivity speeds ranging from 10GbE to 100GbE.
“Fibre Channel is an inherently secure and reliable data network,” said Vikram Karvat, vice president of marketing, Fibre Channel Storage Group, Cavium. “The QLogic Enhanced Gen 5 and Gen 6 Fibre Channel Adapters build on the foundation of Windows Server 2016 delivering unsurpassed value by enabling enterprise applications to meet peak demand, while minimizing downtime, and simplifying Storage Area Network (SAN) administration.”
“Now that operating platforms are designed to run thousands of business, storage and networking applications on clusters of industry standard servers, the humble server adapter has emerged as critical data center infrastructure,” said Frank Berry, founder and senior analyst, IT Brand Pulse. “I expect powerful and highly sophisticated adapters from Cavium to play a key role in data centers of the future.