Industry's first ultra-low-power FRAM microcontroller from TI enables developers to make the world smarter
More data from new places is made possible by the MSP430FR57xx FRAM microcontroller series that allows developers to write up to 100x times faster and save as much as 250x power
|TI introduces MSP430FR57xx, industry's first ultra-low-power MCUs|
DALLAS, TX (May 3, 2011) – Ushering in a new era of reliable data logging and RF communication capabilities, Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NYSE: TXN) today announced the industry’s first ultra-low-power ferroelectric random access memory (FRAM) 16-bit microcontrollers. Further demonstrating TI's embedded processing leadership, the new MSP430FR57xx FRAM series ensures data can be written more than 100 times faster and uses as little as 250 times less power than flash- and EEPROM-based microcontrollers. Additionally, the on-chip FRAM allows data retention in all power modes, supports more than 100 trillion write cycles, and delivers a new dimension of flexibility by allowing developers to partition data and programming memory with changes in software. The FR57xx series eliminates existing power consumption and write endurance barriers, enabling developers to make the world smarter with more cost-efficient data logging, remote sensing and wireless update capabilities in new products that do more and last longer. For more information on TI’s new FR57xx microcontrollers with proven FRAM memory, go to www.ti.com/fr57xx-pr-lp.
Key features and benefits of the MSP430FR57xx FRAM microcontrollers
• Reduces the industry’s best active power by up to 50 percent when executing code from FRAM, operating at 100µA/MHz in active mode and 3 µA in real-time clock mode
• More than 100 trillion write cycle endurance supports continuous data logging, eliminating need for costly external EEPROM and battery-backed SRAM
• Unified memory allows developers to easily change memory partitioning between program, data and cache in software, providing inventory management and system cost savings
• Guaranteed write and data retention in all power modes ensure code safety to simplify the development process, reduce memory test costs and increase end-product reliability
• Enables reliable remote software upgrades – especially over the air – to provide cheaper, easier software upgrade paths for device manufacturers
• Integrated FRAM densities up to 16kB as well as analog and connectivity peripheral options, including 10-bit ADC, 32-bit hardware multiplier, up to five 16-bit timers and multiple enhanced SPI/I2C/UART buses
• Code compatibility across MSP platform as well as low-cost, easy-to-use tools, comprehensive documentation, user guide and code examples allow developers to get started immediately
• Simplify system development with broad compatible RF tools from TI
• Enables intelligent batteryless RF connectivity solutions
• FR57XX MCUs are built on TI's advanced low power, 130nm embedded FRAM process
Pricing and availability
The new MSP430FR57xx microcontrollers start at $1.20 at 10K units, and samples and tools are immediately available. The MSP-EXP430FR5739 Experimenter’s Kit is $29 and can be ordered at www.ti.com/fr57xx-pr-ek-es and the MSP-TS430RHA40A Development Kit is $99 and can be ordered at www.ti.com/fr57xx-pr-dk-es.
New MSP platform includes MSP430™ microcontrollers
TI is committed to delivering new, revolutionary solutions to support customers’ dynamic needs, and MSP430FR57xx FRAM microcontrollers are just one great example of that commitment. To make room for many innovations to come, TI is evolving the MSP430 family to now be part of the new MSP platform.
TI’s broad portfolio of MCUs and software
From general purpose, ultra-low power MSP430 MCUs, to Stellaris® Cortex™-M3-based 32-bit MCUs and high performance, real-time control TMS320C2000™ MCUs, TI offers the broadest range of microcontroller solutions. Designers can accelerate time to market by tapping into TI's complete software and hardware tools, extensive third-party offerings and global technical support.
TI’s Technology Development
TI’s innovative technology development enables differentiation of TI’s broad portfolio and high volume of products across our global manufacturing sites by:
• developing new cost-effective process platforms with step-function increases in power, performance, precision, and cost
• extending process technologies with new components, models and reduced costs
• conducting research on innovative, disruptive technologies for new markets and new products
For more information on TI’s technology development and manufacturing, go to www.ti.com/fr57xx-pr-manuf.
Find out more about TI’s MSP430FR57xx MCUs by visiting the links below:
• MSP430FR57xx MCUs: www.ti.com/fr57xx-pr-lp
• MSP43057xx product folder: www.ti.com/fr57xx-pr-pf
• MSP430FR57xx tools: www.ti.com/fr57xx-pr-tf
• FRAM whitepaper: www.ti.com/fr57xx-pr-mc
• MSP43FR57xx video overview: www.ti.com/fr57xx-pr-v
• Make the Switch to TI MCUs: www.ti.com/maketheswitch
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments semiconductor innovations help 80,000 customers unlock the possibilities of the world as it could be – smarter, safer, greener, healthier and more fun. Our commitment to building a better future is ingrained in everything we do – from the responsible manufacturing of our semiconductors, to caring for our employees, to giving back inside our communities. This is just the beginning of our story. Learn more at www.ti.com.