McObject's New eXtremeDB 4.0 Provides Greater Performance, Scalability and Developer Flexibility for Customers' Next-Generation Real-Time Applications
From Tiny Footprint Device to Top-Tier Social Network: New Customers myYearbook and SCL Elements Illustrate Breadth of eXtremeDB Solution
ISSAQUAH, WA — November 9, 2009 — McObject®, an innovator in the field of embedded database systems for real-time applications, today announced the general availability of version 4.0 of its flagship eXtremeDB™ product. The release continues McObject’s commitment to expanding developer flexibility, resulting in faster and more scalable applications, especially on increasingly popular multi-core systems. Today, McObject also announced two new customer wins, which exemplify eXtremeDB 4.0’s diverse capabilities in systems ranging from high-volume Web applications to tiny-footprint embedded devices. myYearbook, one of the top five social networking sites, and SCL Elements, the makers of CAN2GO networking technology for building and laboratory automation, have adopted eXtremeDB to build key enhancements into their technology.
Using McObject’s eXtremeDB, organizations eliminate the need to create custom data management code, reducing development and support costs for real-time systems and gaining higher performance. For manufacturers, eXtremeDB’s frugal appetite for memory and CPU cycles lowers hardware costs, resulting in savings that drop to the bottom line—or can be used to reduce end-user price, to gain market share. Whether handling critical data for a combat jet’s navigation system or managing a real-time Web application for financial services, eXtremeDB offers multiple features – from a type-safe programming interface to an optional High Availability database subsystem – to build in rock-solid reliability, durability and data integrity.
“With the added support of recoverability and persistence, eXtremeDB 4.0 has allowed us to supplement our traditional RDBMS and key-value stores with specialized, 64-bit optimized, high performance applications capable of sustaining over 50M web-based requests/day on a single 16-core server,” said Jonah H. Harris, senior DBA at myYearbook. “Using eXtremeDB, we have been able to develop several 64-bit cache-optimized applications that perform everything from large-scale user-to-user match percentage calculations to complex user search operations with a high percentage of response times being sub-millisecond.”
With version 4.0, McObject builds on experience gained through eXtremeDB’s adoption in a wide array of markets including financial services, industrial control, defense and aerospace, Web services, telecommunications and consumer electronics. All these industries have a common business requirement: efficient, reliable data management to support the “smart” features offered to application and device end-users. Hundreds of companies around the world rely on McObject technology to meet this goal, and to realize cost savings in development and manufacturing.
“SCL Elements’ CAN2GO Monitoring and Control Network provides a simple and flexible solution to the challenges of environmental monitoring and process control,” says Simon Leblond, president of SCL Elements. “As a key component of our Access Point device for wireless sensor networks, McObject’s eXtremeDB manages data from multiple sensors, providing sophisticated search and retrieval while imposing only minimal memory and CPU demands. The database enables users to seamlessly integrate and define parameters for large numbers of sensors, which is a key capability of our product.”
McObject’s eXtremeDB 4.0 offers the following enhancements to provide customers with expanded development capabilities, greater speed and resource-efficiency, and an unprecedented new level of scalability:
• Multi-Version Concurrency Control (MVCC) Transaction Manager—eXtremeDB’s new option for regulating access to the database eliminates “locking.” Now, companies can dramatically improve scalability and performance, especially in applications with many tasks or processes, and on multi-core systems.
• New Index Structures—eXtremeDB 4.0 adds support for the KD Tree, a data index that eases development, accelerates data processing and enables developers to add highly efficient query features.
• Data index algorithms in eXtremeDB 4.0 are optimized for the MVCC Transaction Manager and deliver faster performance.
• Logical Database Devices —McObject’s new release introduces the concept of logical database devices, which simplifies commands to create a database, whether in memory or on persistent storage, or both. The new feature also adds techniques for performance optimization and database recovery when working with two or more storage devices, be they spinning disks or Solid State Disks.
• New Application Programming Interface (API) —eXtremeDB 4.0 expands an already-large developer toolset with a new Uniform Database Access API. This “one size fits all” function library is fast - native to C/C++ --and can be used across all projects. eXtremeDB also provides a project-specific native interface, as well as APIs supporting industry-standard SQL.
“Our customers are looking for ways to bring more powerful and reliable technology products to market, and need to accomplish this faster than ever before,” said Steve Graves, chief executive officer and co-founder, McObject. “While their applications vary widely, they face the same obstacle: efficiently managing growing volumes of complex data. eXtremeDB 4.0 provides McObject’s most advanced real-time embedded database system yet for addressing this challenge and enabling our customers to deliver software and devices whose reliability, performance and advanced features delight end-users.”
Founded by embedded database and real-time systems experts, McObject offers proven data management technology that makes applications and devices smarter, more reliable and more cost-effective to develop and maintain. McObject counts among its customers industry leaders such BAE Systems, Siemens, Phillips, EADS, JVC, Tyco Thermal Controls, F5 Networks, DIRECTV, CA, Motorola and Boeing. McObject, based in Issaquah, WA, is committed to providing innovative technology and first-rate services to customers and partners. The company can be reached at www.mcobject.com.