Model-based visual programming tool speeds application development on TI's F2806x Piccolo(tm) floating-point microcontrollers
Free two-month trial of Visual Solutions' VisSim/Embedded Controls Developer graphically supports the complete development path from prototyping to deployment
HOUSTON, TX (March 8, 2011) – Simplifying programming to speed design, Texas Instruments Incorporated and Visual Solutions today announced that VisSim/Embedded Controls Developer v8.0 (VisSim) provides full, model-based support for TI’s new TMS320C2000™ Piccolo floating-point microcontrollers (MCUs). The software enables rapid application development, as it visually supports algorithm creation, bit-true simulation, device initialization, prototyping and production C code generation. A full version of VisSim v8.0 is being offered and is available for use with TI’s F28069 controlSTICK and F28069 Experimenter’s Kit with a free two month trial license. A limited $11 promotional price for the F28069 controlSTICK is also available. For more information on how VisSim supports development of motor control, digital power, power line communications and other real-time control applications, go to www.ti.com/vissim-piccolo-lp-pr.
“With up to 100KB RAM, on-chip USB, a floating-point unit, 16 individually triggered ADC channels and faster system clock, the F2806x Piccolo MCUs bring tailored performance that is unheard of in low-cost embedded controllers,” said Pete Darnell, president, Visual Solutions. “We are proud that TI selected our software to help developers fully leverage the capabilities of the F2806x throughout the design process.”
Key features and benefits of VisSim/Embedded Controls Developer v8.0
• Intuitive interface allows development to begin in minutes
• Production-grade C code generator allows high speed sample rates, low RAM and flash requirements, and automatically generates efficient fixed- and floating-point operations
• Easy drop down menus guide the generation of efficient, interrupt-driven code for all on-chip peripherals, including sophisticated modes of operation for the A/D converter and PWMs
• Simulation feature enables developers to verify, debug and tune algorithms while interactively viewing results in graphical plots
• VisSim environment can automatically use TI’s Code Composer Studio™ IDE and emulation – included with the F2806x kits – to compile, link and download algorithms to the target
• USB JTAG hotlink enables downloading and real-time host to target communication for interactively plotting responses and changing parameters during target execution
• Example diagrams for F2806x MCUs include interactive FFT, PSD, motor control, digital power and a range of other applications to jumpstart development efforts
• Existing VisSim diagrams can be easily retargeted to any C2000 MCU without structural changes to the diagram, greatly reducing the engineering cost to support multiple targets
“VisSim/Embedded Controls Developer for TI’s new Piccolo floating-point MCUs simplifies programming by enabling developers to quickly configure and use targeted on-chip peripherals,” Sangmin Chon, director of C2000 MCU marketing. “Further reducing time to market, VisSim’s efficient code generator allows developers to prototype, prove and then program complex digital control systems into a low-cost, floating-point MCU, or any of the other Piccolo or Delfino™ C2000 devices.”
Pricing and availability
VisSim/Embedded Controls Developer v8.0 software is now free for two months after activation, and can be downloaded at www.vissim.com/piccolo. This link to download the software is also included in the F2806x controlSTICK kit and F2806x Experimenter’s Kit. An $11 promotional price will be available to the first 500 customers who order the F2806x controlSTICK through TI’s eStore with the promotion code PiccoloCS. Regular pricing for the F2806x controlSTICK is $39.00, and orders can immediately be placed at www.ti.com/vissim-piccolo-lpes-pr. The F2806x Experimenter’s Kit is priced at $99 US, and orders can immediately be placed at www.ti.com/vissim-piccolo-lpes2-pr.
TI’s broad portfolio of MCUs and software
From general purpose, ultra-low-power MSP430™ MCUs, to Stellaris® Cortex™-M3-based 32-bit MCUs and high performance, real-time control TMS320C2000 MCUs, TI offers the broadest range of microcontroller solutions. Designers can accelerate time to market by tapping into TI's complete software and hardware tools, extensive third-party offerings and technical support.
Find out more about VisSim/Embedded Controls Developer v8.0 and TI’s Piccolo F2806x floating-point MCUs by visiting the links below:
• F2806x controlSTICK: www.ti.com/vissim-piccolo-cs-tf-pr
• F2806x Experimenter’s Kit: www.ti.com/vissim-piccolo-ek-tf-pr
• Visual Solutions VisSim/ECD: www.vissim.com/piccolo_support
• Piccolo MCUs: www.ti.com/piccolo
• Ask questions, share knowledge and help solve problems with fellow engineers in the TI E2E™ C2000 Community: www.ti.com/vissim-piccolo-e2e-pr
• TI's microcontroller portfolio: www.ti.com/mcu
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments semiconductor innovations help 80,000 customers unlock the possibilities of the world as it could be – smarter, safer, greener, healthier and more fun. Our commitment to building a better future is ingrained in everything we do – from the responsible manufacturing of our semiconductors, to caring for our employees, to giving back inside our communities. This is just the beginning of our story. Learn more at www.ti.com.
About Visual Solutions
Since 1989 Visual Solutions has been a pioneer in the development of visual software for model based development of control systems. Their mission is to provide easy-to-use, powerful and affordable software for modeling, simulation and embedded system design. For additional information, visit www.vissim.com.