TI lowers barrier to entry for power line communications with new development kit and software library plcSUITETM
The industry's only power line communications (PLC) modem supporting multiple modulations and protocol standards on a single hardware platform
DALLAS, TX (September 7, 2010) – Demonstrating its commitment to provide the most comprehensive products and tools for power line communications (PLC) development, Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NYSE:TXN) today announced the new PLC Development Kit (TMDSPLCKIT-V2) based on the industry’s only PLC modem solution capable of supporting multiple modulation and protocol standards on a single hardware platform. The new kit provides everything developers need to network systems and implement monitoring capabilities and other new services that reduce device maintenance cost while increasing system reliability to create greener, more efficient products. Developers will now be able to quickly evaluate the suitability of using PLC-based communications and then jumpstart development for Smart Grid applications ranging from smart electrical meters to intelligently controlled industrial applications, including lighting, solar, home automation, building control, plug-in electrical vehicle and energy-managed appliances. For more information, please visit www.ti.com/plc-pr.
TI’s PLC modem is a modular, fully programmable solution comprised of separate microcontroller (MCU) and analog front end (AFE) modules and a complete software framework designed for flexibility and adaptation to various application and regional requirements. The MCU module is based on TI’s proven real-time control C2000™ architecture and offers excellent performance while interfacing seamlessly with the AFE and application processors to which the PLC modem communicates. The AFE module is self-contained and fully isolated, reducing design cycle time, lowering power consumption and reducing system cost. TI also offers its comprehensive plcSUITE, a modular software framework separating modulation, protocol and application development to extend the maximum flexibility to developers in testing and designing with PLC modems. With its flexible PLC modem solution capable of supporting multiple standards and modulation schemes, TI is the only company able to deliver all of the key components required for today’s advanced Smart Grid applications.
Key features and benefits of the TI PLC Development Kit (TMDSPLCKIT-V2)
• Two robust narrowband PLC modems for communications over low-voltage/medium-voltage power lines with scalable data rate up to 128 kbps (single phase)
• Flexible architecture and software framework supports all major PLC standards – including S-FSK (IEC61334), PRIME, and G3 – as they continue to evolve as well as TI customizable Low Frequency Narrowband OFDM library FlexOFDM™
• Integrated AFE supports all low frequency narrowband modulation standards while offering multiple operating modes for power optimization, excellent thermal performance, and lower system component count and cost
• Turnkey evaluation and production software through the royalty-free plcSUITE modular software framework that simplifies development and enables developers to easily adapt products to specific protocol, application, and regional requirements
• Fully programmable OFDM-based system allowing environmental tuning for robustness and reliability of communication performance
• GUI-based control for quick visualization of key PLC modem parameters
Pricing and availability
The TI PLC Development Kit (TMDSPLCKIT-V2) is priced at $599 US and can be ordered at www.ti.com/plc-pr-es.
TI’s leadership and commitment to PLC technology
Leading the industry with the most flexible PLC solutions on the market, TI continues to invest heavily in Smart Grid and Smart Metering technology. TI has recently opened a world-wide PLC design center in Dallas and is a principal member of PRIME, board of director of HomeGrid as well as serves as a contributing member of IEEE P1901.2, ITU G.hnem, and SAE/ISO-IEC. Designers can further accelerate time to market for PLC-based products by leveraging TI’s extensive system expertise in industrial design, analog design, and OFDM modulation.
Find out more about TI’s complete PLC portfolio by visiting the links below:
• PLC Development Kit (TMDSPLCKIT-V2): www.ti.com/plc-pr-ev
• plcSUITE Software: www.ti.com/plc-pr-sw
• TMDSPLCKIT-V2 video: www.ti.com/plc-pr-v
• TI PLC Solutions whitepaper: www.ti.com/plc-pr-wp
• AFE031 Analog Front End: www.ti.com/plc-afe031-pr
• C2000 MCU portfolio: www.ti.com/plc-c2000-pr
• PLC modem system block diagram: www.ti.com/plc-sbd-pr
• TI’s PLC Solutions: www.ti.com/plc-pr
# # #
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments (NYSE: TXN) helps customers solve problems and develop new electronics that make the world smarter, healthier, safer, greener and more fun. A global semiconductor company, TI innovates through design, sales and manufacturing operations in more than 30 countries. For more information, go to www.ti.com.
C2000, plcSUITE, FlexOFDM and PLClite are trademarks of Texas Instruments. All registered trademarks and other trademarks belong to their respective owners.