TI introduces smallest 2.5-A power module with 65-V transient protection
Easy-to-use DC/DC modules power noise-sensitive analog circuits
DALLAS (Sept. 26, 2012) – Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN) today introduced a new power module with 65-V transient protection that integrates a DC/DC converter, inductor and passives in a very small, easy-to-use package. The 2.5-A TPS84250 meets the EN55022 Class B electromagnetic emissions standard and features frequency synchronization to cleanly power noise-sensitive analog circuits in test and measurement, industrial motor control, medical and imaging applications. For more information and samples, visit www.ti.com/tps84250-pr.
The TPS84250 step-down power module supports input voltages from 7 V to 50 V and provides a positive output voltage from 2.5 V to 15 V in a small, thin 9-mm by 11-mm package. Watch a video at www.ti.com/tps84250-prv.
For applications that require a negative output voltage, TI offers the TPS84259 4.5-V to 40-V input, up to 15-W power module with frequency synchronization and low electromagnetic interference (EMI). This new power module provides output voltage down to -17 V for powering sensors, bipolar amplifiers, split-rail data converters and other analog circuits. For clean, low-noise voltage rails, the TPS84250 and TPS84259 modules can be paired with wide-input voltage linear regulators such as the 1-A, 36-V TPS7A4700 and 1-A, -36-V TPS7A3301.
The TPS84250 and TPS84259 join TI’s TPS84k power module family, which also provide power for DSPs and FPGAs that require lower input voltages. For more information on all of TI’s TPS84k integrated power modules, visit www.ti.com/tps84k-pr. TI offers a variety of tools and support to speed design, including circuit topology calculators for the TPS84250 and TPS84259.
Key features and benefits of the TPS84250 and TPS84259 power modules
• 65-V transient protection eliminates additional system protection components.
• Frequency synchronization reduces noise.
• Compliant to EN55022 Class B electromagnetic emissions standard for low EMI noise.
• Very small, low-profile 9-mm by 11-mm by 2.8-mm QFN package is 75-percent smaller in area than open-frame power modules.
Availability, packaging and pricing
The TPS84250 and TPS84259 power modules are available in volume now from TI and its authorized distributors. They are offered in a 41-lead QFN package and are priced at US$5.25 and US$6.00, respectively, in 1,000-unit quantities.
Find out more about TI’s power modules:
• Order samples and an evaluation board of the new power modules: www.ti.com/tps84250-pr and www.ti.com/tps84259-pr.
• Start a WEBENCH® design: www.ti.com/webenchpwr-pr.
• Get more information on all of TI’s TPS84k power modules: www.ti.com/tps84k-pr.
• Ask questions and share knowledge in the power forum in the TI E2E™ Community: www.ti.com/powerforum-pr.
• Download power reference designs from TI’s PowerLab™ Reference Design Library: www.ti.com/powerlab-pr.
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments semiconductor innovations help 90,000 customers unlock the possibilities of the world as it could be – smarter, safer, greener, healthier and more fun. Our commitment to building a better future is ingrained in everything we do – from the responsible manufacturing of our semiconductors, to caring for our employees, to giving back inside our communities. This is just the beginning of our story. Learn more at www.ti.com.