SmartBear Software, Peer Code Review Pioneers, Expand Agility with CodeCollaborator 6.0
Now Adding Unique Peer Review Ability for Microsoft Office Documents
Beverly, MA, September 14, 2010 – SmartBear Software today announced a major release of its peer code review tool, CodeCollaborator™ 6.0 further increasing the value across development teams. Tens of thousands of software developers, systems analysts, firmware and hardware designers already use CodeCollaborator to conduct peer reviews on code, images, design documents, and schematics, and identify software defects early in the development lifecycle.
With this latest release, CodeCollaborator uniquely allows peer review of Microsoft Office documents. It also adds even broader and richer support of leading development environments and includes enhanced user management and reporting features.
“Research shows that peer code review helps teams improve overall software quality in a very efficient and cost-effective way when it doesn’t involve long meetings, conference calls and print outs of code changes,” said Ian McLeod, Executive Vice President of Products at SmartBear Software. “CodeCollaborator is no longer just for code review, now allowing peer review of any Windows application that can be printed. While developers traditionally dislike code reviews because they are manual and painful, our customers tell us that their teams love CodeCollaborator and can’t imagine working without it.”
CodeCollaborator 6.0, the industry’s first commercial peer code review tool, offers both enterprise functionality and customization features that no other peer code review tools have. This release includes an extensive list of key new features:
* Support for Microsoft Office documents – In addition to reviewing software files, schematics, design documents, images, and PDFs, developers can now peer review Microsoft Office documents and capture metrics on these reviews.
* Enhanced support for IBM Rational tools, Microsoft Visual Studio and Eclipse – CodeCollaborator, which already supports 16 version control tools, now includes a new Microsoft Visual Studio add-in that allows users to create and add materials to a review. Significant additions to the Eclipse plug-in move the entire peer review experience directly into the IDE integration platform. Improvements to the IBM Rational ClearCase integration and new integration with IBM Rational Team Concert also further move the code review experience into developers’ tool of choice.
* Extensive new reporting – New custom fields and filters in code review reports and custom user-oriented reports allow teams to report more comprehensively on the time spent on peer reviews.
* Usability improvements - Features like the ability to redact a comment, zoom control for documents and image files, and a new display that highlights defects found, improve productivity and retain a level of auditability for regulated organizations.
* Peer review data collection - This feature makes it possible for companies to easily gather quantitative and qualitative survey data at the end of a review, making it easier to monitor and improve processes.
* Improved group administration features - More easily manage groups of users and delegate administration tasks to non-administrator users when appropriate.
What Customers are Saying
Jason Mack, Site Manager, GE Aviation, said, “CodeCollaborator 6.0 provides us with the ability to easily perform multi-site peer reviews and now makes it possible to record quality metrics of defect history during different phases in our design despite our own scheduling issues. The new version also allows us to conduct peer review of large 2-D technical drawings, not just code, improving team collaboration and increasing our overall productivity by making the review process as painless as possible.”
Behshad Rejai, Director of Software Engineering, Synopsys, said, “CodeCollaborator adoption has increased rapidly across our product teams as its benefits and ease-of-use have been recognized over the past year. As a result, we now have a significant number of R&D engineers conducting code reviews. We find the new 6.0 custom reporting capabilities useful to support our internal processes for continuous improvement. The 'user group' capabilities are particularly helpful because they allow individual product teams to directly control and update their user lists for reviews.”
Chris Shaw, VP of Engineering, Imprivata, Inc., said, “SmartBear’s CodeCollaborator has become a key component of our development cycle and has had a viral impact on our engineering group. The server team learned of its benefits from the client team, and it was quickly adopted across the entire organization. The level of enthusiasm was surprising, particularly for a code review tool. While it has increased the efficiency of our code review process, we have also benefited from improved collaboration and communication between all team members. From the moment of adoption, the number of code reviews has multiplied and we have been able to reference the reviews in our code check-ins.”
CodeCollaborator 6.0 is available now. To purchase, or to download a free 30-day trial, visit smartbear.com/codecollab-download/. For a detailed description of CodeCollaborator 6.0 features, read our blog entry, or visit smartbear.com/codecollab-6.0-all-features/.
About SmartBear Software
SmartBear Software provides enterprise-class yet affordable tools for development teams that care about software quality and performance. Our collaboration, performance profiling and testing tools already help more than 75,000 developers and testers build some of the best software applications and websites in the world. Our users can be found in small businesses, Fortune 100 companies, and government agencies. For more information about SmartBear Software, our award-winning tools, or to join our active community of developers and testers, visit www.smartbear.com.