TI brings 2.4 and 5 GHz Wi-Fi(r) and Bluetooth(r) combo modules to industrial and IoT applications
The WiLink(tm) 8 family makes development easier and faster with certified TI modules and complete software offering
DALLAS – To help manufacturers easily add Wi-Fi® and dual-mode Bluetooth® to embedded applications, today Texas Instruments (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN) announced the WiLink™ 8 combo connectivity modules, which support Wi-Fi in the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands. The new highly-integrated module family offers high throughput and extended industrial temperature range with robust Wi-Fi + Bluetooth coexistence. WiLink 8 modules are perfect for power-optimized designs for home and building automation, smart energy, gateways, wireless audio, enterprise, wearables and many more industrial and Internet of Things (IoT) applications. The WiLink 8 modules and software are compatible and pre-integrated with many processors including TI’s Sitara™ processors. The WiLink 8 family requires less hardware and RF design experience, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth software stacks and sample applications are provided, and the modules are FCC/IC/ETSI certified. For more information, visit www.ti.com/wilink.
“As a fully integrated solution, using the WiLink 8 modules allowed for reduced development time and quicker time to market. Additionally, the cycle time to get necessary industry certifications and regulatory certifications were greatly improved,” said Ken Sooknanan, senior architect of the Connected Life Gateway program, Cisco. “For IoT products, where multiple hardware variants are needed to address specific markets, the WiLink 8 module fit our needs very well.”
By offering 2.4 and 5 GHz versions that are pin-to-pin compatible, the WiLink 8 family provides a scalable and flexible portfolio. With integrated Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, the WiLink 8 modules enable new use cases and better user experiences including:
· Extended temperature range of -40C to 85C required for industrial applications
· New 5 GHz modules which enable customers to build high performance solutions by taking advantage of the less noisy frequency band
· Smart energy and home gateways, which offer Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and ZigBee® coexistence, can manage multiple devices through Wi-Fi multi-channel multi-role (MCMR) capabilities
· 1.4x the range and up to 100 Mbps throughput with TI’s WiLink 8 MRC (maximal ratio combining) and MIMO (multiple-input and multiple-output) technology
· Optimization for low power applications with low idle connect current consumption
· Audio streaming for home entertainment applications with both Wi-Fi and dual-mode Bluetooth/Bluetooth low energy
“The new WiLink 8 certified modules bring cutting edge connectivity technology to any customer and offers easy access to development tools, software and support for many different industrial and consumer applications,” said Amichai Ron, general manager, Wireless Connectivity Solutions, TI. “As an embedded connectivity market leader, TI is excited to work with customers like Cisco, providing an entire IoT solution including wireless connectivity, processors and analog components.”
The WiLink 8 modules complement several TI platforms to deliver system solutions for manufacturers including WiLink 8 module-based evaluation boards (2.4 GHz-WL1835MODCOM8 and 5 GHz -WL1837MODCOM8) that are compatible with the AM335x EVM and AM437x EVM. Additionally, the WiLink 8 modules, which offer Bluetooth and Bluetooth low energy dual-mode technology, are compatible with TI’s Bluetooth portfolio that allows developers to create a complete end-to-end application.
Pricing and availability
· The WiLink 8 evaluation boards (WL1835MODCOM8 and WL1837MODCOM8) are also available now on the TI eStore for $39.79 and through TI authorized distributors.
· WiLink 8 modules are part of TI’s free sample program.
· WiLink 8 modules production units will be available in Q1 2015 through TI authorized distributors starting at $9.99 in 1,000 unit volumes.
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) is a global semiconductor design and manufacturing company that develops analog ICs and embedded processors. By employing the world's brightest minds, TI creates innovations that shape the future of technology. TI is helping more than 100,000 customers transform the future, today. Learn more at www.ti.com.