TI's MSP430(tm) MCUs provide flexible solution for next generation single-phase metering and energy monitoring applications
New ultra-low-power devices offer enhanced LCD display, high precision measurements and advanced metrology software support
|MSP430F673x Microcontroller Family|
DALLAS, TX (January 24, 2012) – Offering developers more flexibility in electricity metering and energy monitoring applications, Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN) today announced the MSP430F673x/F672x family of ultra-low-power 16-bit microcontrollers. TI’s new devices guarantee no interruption of operation through a backup capable microcontroller supporting real-time clock (RTC) operation and power management from the main power supply and up to two separate auxiliary supplies. The 24 new F673x/F672x devices also achieve more precise measurements through an increased sampling rate and superior linearity over multiple operating conditions, such as current range and time, resulting in a stable system solution. These devices are TI’s first 6xx series microcontrollers with integrated 24-bit sigma-deltas and a 320-segment LCD controller. Compared to the previous 160-segment solution, developers can leverage enhanced segmented LCDs with more programmability and enable more characters on displays, especially with Asian languages. As part of the MSP430™ microcontroller portfolio, the F673x/F672x devices are designed for ultra-low-power modes, ensuring the LCD display is consuming as little power as possible during operation. For more information, visit www.ti.com/msp430f673x-430metering-pr-lp.
MSP430F673x/F672x microcontrollers’ tools and software for simplified development
TI’s free MSP430 Energy Library is available to support metrology software on the new F673x/F672x devices, providing an easy startup for customers developing a utility meter product. Developers can test and experience accuracy results with the MSP430F6736 EVM, a single-phase electricity meter as well as program and debug F673x/F672x devices with the MSP-TS430PZ100B target board and MSP-FET430U100B flash emulation tool.
Key features and benefits of the MSP430F673x/F672x family
• Powerful 24-bit sigma-delta with programmable gain amplifier and less than 0.1 percent accuracy across a 2400:1 dynamic range enables the F673x/F672x family to meet class 0.1 meters and exceed IEC62053/ANSI C12.20
• Sigma-delta converter offers independent channels for voltage, current and tamper detection, reducing energy measurement software development and security concerns
• 320-seg LCD driver, which enables segment and blinking control and dual display memory, can also run in 8-MUX mode to support multiple LCD devices
• Real-time clock and calendar mode operates from separate voltage supply with programmable charger for accurate data logging and measurements with no loss of data
• Ultra-low power consumption at 1.4 µA in standby mode with ultra-fast wake up at less than 3 µs
• MSP430 electricity metering selection tool provides an easy way for developers to find the right product for their applications.
• Free MSP430 Energy Library supports metrology software measurements, such as voltage, energy and tamper detection
TI @ DistribuTECH 2012
Stop by booth 4735 to see the MSP430F6736 EVM as well as other TI demos and solutions. Be sure to follow @TXInstruments on Twitter for exclusive show updates and giveaways.
Pricing and availability
The MSP430F673x/F672x microcontrollers are immediately available, starting at $2.00 for 1K-units. The MSP-TS430PZ100B target board is available for $75 and the MSP-FET430U100B flash emulation tool is available for $149. Both can be ordered at TI’s eStore. Please contact local sales representatives for additional details regarding the MSP430F6736 EVM.
TI’s broad portfolio of microcontrollers (MCUs) and software
From general purpose, ultra-low power MSP430™ MCUs, to Stellaris® Cortex™-M MCUs to real-time control C2000™ MCUs, and Hercules™ safety MCUs, TI offers the broadest range of microcontroller solutions. Designers can accelerate time to market by tapping into TI's complete software and hardware tools, extensive third-party offerings and technical support.
Find out more about TI’s MSP430F673x family by visiting the links below:
• MSP430 metering: www.ti.com/msp430f673x-430metering-pr-lp
• MSP430F673x video overview: www.ti.com/msp430f673x-pr-v
• MSP430 Energy Library: www.ti.com/msp430f673x-energylibrary-pr-tf
• MSP430 Blog: www.ti.com/msp430f673x-blog-pr-lp
• Smart Grid E2E community: www.ti.com/msp430f673x-smartgride2e-pr-lp
• TI’s Smart Grid solutions: www.ti.com/msp430f673x-smartgrid-pr-lp
• Make the switch to TI microcontrollers: www.ti.com/maketheswitch
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments semiconductor innovations help 80,000 customers unlock the possibilities of the world as it could be – smarter, safer, greener, healthier and more fun. Our commitment to building a better future is ingrained in everything we do – from the responsible manufacturing of our semiconductors, to caring for our employees, to giving back inside our communities. This is just the beginning of our story. Learn more at www.ti.com.
MSP430, C2000, Hercules are trademarks and Stellaris is a registered trademark of Texas Instruments. All registered trademarks and other trademarks belong to their respective owners.